Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A New Year, A New Beginning


I know that you are probably wondering what this house has to do with new beginnings. No, it's not the house that I currently live in. It is the house that I grew up in. I took that photograph this past summer when I was driving through my old neighborhood. I was too nervous to take a closer picture so this will have to do.

This is where I had my beginning as a boy. I lived in that house and roamed that neighborhood from the beginning of my life until I moved away to college. During my senior year, my parents moved away and I no longer lived there. It was strange. I could no longer call that house my home. I could no longer pull up in the driveway and run in the front door. Those days were over.

A few months later I had graduated from college and moved into my first home of my own. It was a very small apartment in the country with bright red counter tops and paper thin walls. It was certainly no show place, however, it was mine. It was a new beginning.

There are many out there who decide to give themselves a "new beginning" at the turn of a new year. Perhaps you made some "New Years Resolutions" and endeavor to keep them. I hope that they were realistic and reachable. If you have failed already, give yourself a new beginning right now. Don't wait until your birthday or a new year...do it now!

Vote in my poll and leave a comment. I'd like to hear what you thought of my little view of the world. Just a line would be fine. I always like hearing from those who read my blog.

Have a Prosperous, Healthy, and Joyfilled New Year!

Your Nashville Friend,

Thom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I've had a similar experience after my parents died and our having to sell the family home. Driving by and remembering our time there with a mixture of happy thoughts and sadness. It drives home the reality that time is unforgiving. That we have but a limited time on this earth with our loved ones and how we should appreciate every moment.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go visit the house I grew up in but it was a long, long way away in Johannesburg, South Africa. Joburg is a very violent city nowadays and I hesitate to pay it a visit. The closest I can get to it is to view the old neighbourhood on Google Earth, the aerial viewpoint. I can see that the house itself appears to have been demolished and another, bigger, one built in its place.
And that it's gone makes me sad.

The family home and its atmosphere is so important, I believe it greatly affects the person you grow up to be.

~Paul
(www.poplarpaul.wordpress.com)

Ryan said...

Hey T... just found the blog... really funny that my parents actually just visited our old house that I grew up in last week. My mom was saying it was weird to drive by the house and see Christmas lights ont he outside of the house. (we were Jewish)We had some great times in that house... I could even hear her getting choked up on the phone...and then I had to remind her that it was 17 degrees where she was and 80 where we currently live... life goes on...

Thom Takes On The World said...

Bluboy,

Welcome to my blog. Always good to see a new face/name in here!

Happy New Year,

Thom

Powered By Blogger